Wednesday, August 13, 2008

This and that...

Not much going on here. Will started Mother's Day Out on Tuesday and he LOVES it! When we got there he was going from room to room trying to get in one of them to PLAY! I had to get him a nap mat for nap time. I laughed when they told me that because I thought there is NO WAY he will lay down on a mat (he is still in his crib) and actually fall asleep...good luck with that is what I was thinking. Well sure enough he slept for over an hour on the floor on a nap mat. CRAZY! He will also be going on Thursdays so we will see how tomorrow goes. I loved having some time to myself and doing some of those things that are just easier without a kid in tow!

Hmmm, what else? We are about to go to the beach so I am excited about that for sure! I think Will will really love it this year.

I have been hearing all of these good things about the book The Shack. Pretty much everything I heard has been good and I had no idea what is was about so I thought I would go buy it and take it to the beach. So Tuesday I went to Lifeway and picked up that book and another one on toddlers. I was checking out and the guy checking me out handed me a mandatory disclaimer about the book The Shack and asked - "who suggested you read this book?" I told him what I said above and asked him why. Long story short he said it was VERY controversial and didn't think their store should sell anything that has to have a disclaimer(which basically said to read with discernment and the teachings in this book were not scriptural etc., but that it is christian fiction) . So when I got home I looked up some things on the internet about the book and found a review and after reading the review I wonder if this is a book I should even read...I probably (obviously) would benefit more by just reading the Bible. Have you read it? Thoughts? I don't know if it concerned the guy at the bookstore because he didn't know if I was a new christian or wasn't one and didn't want me to read that book because of it's content. Or would someone who knows what they believe really be affected or have their mind changed by what this author is saying? Anyway, just curious if any of you have read it and what you think. If you are interested here is the review I read:

http://www.challies.com/archives/book-reviews/the-shack-by-william-p-young.php

All for now...

18 comments:

Dee-Dee said...

I just typed this huge long comment and my laptop erased it. Lovely. In short, I read (most of - whew that was long) the review. Interesting. I think it is important to take it for what it is - a piece of fiction - not scripture. Sometimes things like this are good to make you go to scripture to seek out answers to God's truth (like that whole bit on forgiveness in the review). You'll have to let me know what you think. I hadn't even heard of it until your post. Am I on the same planet as everyone else?
I am so glad Will likes MDO. That is great for him and great for you! Yay! Funny about naps, isn't it? The things they'll do for other people...

Sandra said...

I had heard so much about The Shack that I bought it a few weeks ago. It was an interesting read, but I did not see why people are considering it so "life-changing", etc. Christian "fiction" always makes me a little uneasy; this book especially bothered me because it literally "puts words in God's mouth" that may or may not accurately express what God would say.
I'm sure the bookstore's concern is the effect the book could have on someone who passively believes anything they read. I know you would read it with the understanding that it is not necessarily true in everyway.
It does give some new ways of looking at some of the puzzling questions of life...such as why bad things happen to the innocent.
Read it and let us all know your take on the book.
Have a great beach trip.

David, Samantha and Kaori said...

Sounds interesting! Kinda like how the Da Vinci Code took over the world! Maybe I'll read it too. At least it makes people talk about what they believe.

How nice that Will like MDO! What a treat. Have fun at the beach!

Heather said...

MDO....that's awesome! You go girl!~
As far as the book...I haven't heard of it. It's kind of like the Oprah book that was so popular...don't even remember the name of it now. I skimmmed over some of it just to see what all the hype was & it is amazing how many people out there don't believe like we do!! Scary, really! Guess I've been kind of sheltered staying home & all.

Griner Mom said...

I have not heard of it, but books do go in phases as far as taking over people's life. The Purpose Driven Life was like that too. I thought it was an ok book, but not sure what all the hype was about. It seemed like every church sign showed that they were doing that book. I do think it is good as Christians, that we are somewhat familiar with the popular trendy trains of thought so that when "in the world" we can understand where non-Christian people are getting their info when we talk to them. My two cents :) Glad your MDO is going well!!

Angie said...

Interesting....I haven't heard anything about the book. Glad Will liked Mother's Day Out. I can't believe he fell asleep on the mat! Do they accept 7 month olds who aren't big on the nighttime sleeping thing? :) A little private sleep tutoring, perhaps?

Becky said...

Don't know anything about the book, but way to go Will for sleeping on a MAT!!! Holy Cow! I'm impressed!! :)

Elizabeth said...

MDO is wonderful for mommy and kid! Way to go Will for sleeping on the mat. I said the same thing about Emery- there was no way she would nap on that mat! But she did! Interesting about the book, I haven't heard anything about this! I feel so out of the loop!

Mandy said...

I'm glad Will is liking MDO! Ethan starts preschool Tuesday and he's so excited!! I've heard of the book and the hype...let me know what you think when you read it! When are ya'll going to the beach? We're going in Sept. and I can't wait! I wish you were going to be home next week too....you should just come on down!!!

Ryan said...

Congrats on a Will loving MDO!!! I tried to read the review, but it was boring. The outtakes from the book seemed boring to me too. I hope you like it, but if not you can always buy a cheap Mary Higgins Clark, my choice for an easy, requiring no thought, and no theological ponderings beach read. Have a great trip!!!

The Blankinships said...

so funny about the book, because every single person i know has read it and i just picked it up, thinking i'd better get to reading too. since i haven't started it yet, i can't offer much. but i honestly think this is one of those books that you pray about beofore even opening, and ask God to shield your heart, and give you the courage to come to Him when with the hard questions it raises. keep us posted on what you think as you read it! oh, and you're gonna love having a little extra time to yourself!! mdo is GREAT!

lyla said...

i can't wait!!!!!! i've read the shack, by the way. i loved it--can't wait to see what you think. i have heard many mixed reviews. :)

jenni said...

phillip & i both have read the book & we loved it!

i think it's a book that puts things in ways never thought of & makes you want to seek things out of the bible. the main thing i have gotten out of it is that i want my relationship with God, phillip, my kids, my friends and family to be stronger, better & more loving.

i was cautious but i think that God can inspire someone to write something that can make you search the bible & Him more.

you'll have to do a book review when you get back! have fun at the beach!

Angie said...

On a totally different note.....
wore your necklace to lunch today and got tons of comments. had a facebook message tonight asking for your website. :) your pieces are so cute they sell themselves!

Shannon said...

Hey girl! Congrats on MDO and I said the same thing about Alex and naptime. Amazing what a kid will do when the other kids are are doing it!! Enjoy your precious free time!! Never heard of the book (so out of the loop!), but will be curious to hear your thoughts about it! Enjoy the beach, we are heading there in a couple of weeks as well!

Stacy said...

I read the Shack and loved it.(and am ready to read it again-and I don't even like to read) I cried the whole way through. It has some "non traditional" views on the father, son, and spirit. Can't wait to see what you think about it! Amanada, sister in law, loved the necklace....another happy customer. Have a great trip to the beach!

Amanda Conley said...

I read it. I liked it, but there were things in there that I didn't like. It's definitely not a book to recommend to a new Christian. Even though the story is a work of fiction, the author claims that the conversations w/ God are basically true. Therefore, the argument that's it's fiction has to be negated. But you should read it anyway. Just don't take the whole thing as "Biblical."

thesemanchiks said...

That is great that Will is loving mother's day out!! Lauryn starts a one day a week in Sept. I hope it goes well!! I have to get her a "mat" too. I wonder if that'll work for a nap ;)